"It was twenty years ago today"
Or it was nearly twenty years, 19yrs. in fact October 2007. Who remembers the floods in Calpe ?
Speaking to a client the other day he expressed surprise when I informed him that I had been in business here on the Costa Blanca for 20 years and showed him this photo of the van (when I still traded as Casa Blanca Pinturas) in Calpe the day of the big floods as proof.
Most of the vehicles in this photo were swept out to sea (including the nice silver Merc and the red beer delivery truck you can see behind the van. I was saved because the green bottle bank immedietly behind the van was full and blocked the worst of the waters from afecting the van and also the van was loaded with paint for an interior we were painting up in Valencia plus of course the ladders on the roof all of which stopped the water from lifting the van up from the rear and submerging the front with the engine and electrics as happened to almost all the other cars affected.
I waited till the waters had subsided after the ayuntamiento broke the wall at the shore front and got in the van turned the key and to my astonishment (and the surprise of all the onlookers) the motor started and I drove round the corner to safety.
Happy days!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.